Sunday, November 7, 2010

Taylor is a Tough One! Subtitle: Don't Mess with My Brother


Ahhhh, immunizations.  Is there anything less enjoyable for a parent?  For both kids, I've taken them to the vast majority of their immunizations.  Dad's turn!  This past week, Jon had an afternoon open and decided to take the kids in for their flu shots.  Derek also needed another immunization, for a total of two shots. 

Jon takes the kids in together to the shot room.  Three nurses come in.  Two have syringes; the other is there to help hold Derek.   Jon and that nurse are holding Derek down, with him screaming his little head off.  Right as the other nurses try to give Derek his shots, Taylor decides to take action.  She screams "NOOOOO" and rips one of the syringes out of his leg.  Derek got a 3-inch scratch on his leg and we're not entirely sure if he got the flu shot as intended.  Jon had to go after Taylor and attempt to confiscate the syringe and needle, which she somehow bent and did not want to relinquish.  Needless to say, Taylor had to get her own flu shot after that and I'm sure she didn't go quietly.  Derek was too busy nursing his own wounds to attempt to rescue her.  Dad was a little frazzled when he called me to tell me the story. 

Aren't siblings the best?  I love that Taylor is protective of Derek.  Don't worry, Derek - your little sister will defend you.  I have 3 sisters, and I remember more than a few times that I took on a battle on their behalf.  We hope someday that Derek will have it in him to help out when the other kids notice Taylor's "ears"... although I'm quite sure that she'll be taking care of herself.  My little two-year-old tried to take on 4 adults to defend her brother.  What a story! 


1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that your blog really helps. My daughter just recently got "turned on" for the first time and the past few weeks have been nothing but frustrating-and yet, strangely, amazing. While wearing her CI I feel like she is coming alive. So, thank you for sharing your story and for giving that link for the headbands-they look like they could be a serious answer to prayer. So Thank you. It is so nice to know we are not alone in this journey and that there is hope for Piper to talk and hear.

    ReplyDelete