Thursday, October 1, 2009

So Many Exciting Changes

This has been an amazing week. I always try to be extremely cautious about what I claim that Taylor does when writing the blog. There was such a long time period of her life that I thought she could hear, so I don't always trust myself to be an unbiased critic.
BUT.....
According to Grandma M, Taylor recognized my voice on the phone! Her Dad had her in Ok City for her therapy appointment, and she was crying her little eyes out. I called his cell phone and he held it up to her ear so I could talk to her. She stopped crying and started smiling!! Ahhh.
According to both of our wonderful nannies, Taylor has started doing some great new things this week. She will move her mouth like she is talking, but doesn't make any sound. (I really want to get this on video.) She rubbed her tummy and said "MMmmm," imitating Derek and the babysitter, during snack time. She also tried to imitiate some other word-like sounds, even once sounding like she said "Uh-huh" for a sucker. Another time, Katie said "Let's go upstairs" and Taylor started heading for the stairs.
According to her Dad, he is noticing big changes this week too. They were playing and wrestling, and she started imitating sounds he was making. :)
These are all very little, but very BIG, things. It is so important that she start to understand the meaning of words, and recognize that she has her own little voice in there.
Taylor seems to think all bodily functions are hilarious right now.
Burps will turn her head at any moment. She even did a fake burp tonight.
Coughing - she will imitate us or even purposefully cough to try to get us to cough back.
Spitting (or sound of spitting)
Gargling, thanks to Derek... her brother, sidekick and partner in crime.
It makes sense that Taylor will go through a learning process for sound similar to a newborn baby. At 3 weeks post-activation, I would say she is about like a 6-8 month old baby. She is going through the same learning progression, at a more rapid pace.
I continue to be amazed by Taylor's ability to adapt to the new world of sound, and I am so thankful that cochlear implants exist.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up all the great work. Taylor is showing such great emerging sound awareness.

    ReplyDelete